Monday, May 22, 2017

MMP - Replacement Tips

MMP - Replacement Tips  

I had a retro moment today while thinking about the band the Replacements. I remember watching them on SNL (1986) and was blown away by the performance (you'll know what I mean if you Google the SNL episode). The only thing about today's MMP in common with the band, is the name.

When texting or emailing I often include my email address in the body of the message. Most often than not, I make a mistake typing the address because I'm in a hurry. Instead of typing out the address use a code to insert the email automatically into the message. To set up text replacement for an iPhone or iPad:
  1. Go to Settings - General - Keyboard - Text Replacement
  2. Tap the Text Replacement and in the upper right corner of the screen tap the + 
  3. In the Phrase box type in your email address i.e. thereplacements@domain.com
  4. In the Shortcut box type in two @@
  5. Tap Save
As you are typing out your message or email press the @@ and space. Your email will be inserted into the message - no more typing it out! If you have secondary email address that you use, follow the same steps but use three @@@ instead for the code.

The second replacement tip is for Word. When writing a letter or report I usually consult a thesaurus to check for synonyms. Highlight the text that you want to find a synonym for, and press Shift + F7. A panel will pop up on the right side of the screen showing a list of related terms to choose from. Such a nifty tip courtesy of MS Word.